Getting Your Book on Our Shelves
Want our store to carry your book? Here's how!
Information for Local and Self-Published Authors
For emerging authors hoping to get their books in the store, please read the following guidelines regarding our policies.
- Please make an appointment in advance. We would like to speak with you regarding your work and the best way to market it, however, because we are in a retail environment, appointments should be made in advance. To schedule an appointment, contact email@example.com.
- Please provide us with the following:
Pricing (retail and wholesale)
Contact information for author
Web address for author and/or book
A copy of or synopsis of the book
List of other retailers stocking the title
Advertising/marketing undertaken by the author
Events and gatherings executed or scheduled
JPEG image of cover art for web use
- Please understand that author events and book signings are established only once the book has proven to be a seller.
- Please review our consignment policy below prior to meeting.
- Read the following article.
- Self-published books are taken on a consignment basis only until a proven sales record is established.
- Wholesale and retail costs of the book will be established upon acceptance of the book. Typical mark-up from wholesale is 40 percent.
- Maria's Bookshop will stock the title for six months, reordering when necessary.
- If the book sells within the allotted six-month time period, payment will be made.
- If the title does not sell, it will be returned to the author or donated to an appropriate local group or organization. It is the author's responsibility to pick the unsold book(s) up or to pay for shipping.
Tips for a successful consignment
- Encourage your friends, family and other contacts to purchase your book at Maria's Bookshop.
- Contact local media and mailing lists to let them know that the book is available at Maria's Bookshop.
- Send out press releases, review copies and other promotional materials.
- Get involved with bookclubs, libraries and other community organizations. Greater success comes from a wide array of author-coordinated promotion.